There are two lawyers in our firm — Stan Herring and John Watts. We have been practicing law in Alabama and representing individuals for about 30 years combined.
Our firm focuses on three major areas:
- Suing mortgage companies, either before or after a foreclosure, in order to stop or reverse a wrongful foreclosure in Alabama. This website is dedicated to this area of practice.
- Suing debt collectors for violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) which regulates calls to cell phones, and we also defend lawsuits brought by collectors against Alabama consumers. You can review these two sites to find out about these practice areas — Alabama Consumer Protection and Sued By A Debt Collector.
- The final area is representing Alabama individuals who have been injured due to the negligence of others (car wrecks, truck wrecks, etc). This is where we focused many years of our practice and we still take a select number of cases. You can find out more about this area of the law on our Birmingham Injury Blog. (We are working on a new website for this area of the law but it is not yet ready.)
Our belief and philosophy is the the best way to protect yourself is to first learn your rights. Our website and practice is devoted to this.
Then, after you know your rights, you can determine what is the best course of action for your family.
With respect to foreclosures in Alabama, there are a number of factors that we try to help you evaluate. These include:
- The strength of your legal case against the mortgage company;
- The economics of staying in your home (i.e. can you afford it and does it make sense to stay there);
- The non economic reasons for staying in your home — i.e. are there emotional ties or other reasons to stay and fight such as the school system, good neighbors, close to family, etc.; and
- Are you prepared to do what it takes to stay and fight a huge, well funded mortgage company?
Our approach is to help you evaluate all of this information in a low pressure, friendly manner so that the decision that you make is the best decision for you.
We hope you find useful information here and if you are interested in discussing your Alabama foreclosure situation with us, you can simply pick up the phone and call us at 205-879-2447.
Oh yes, I forgot this is the page where most legal websites tell you how great the lawyers are. Well, we will skip that but we will give you a simple overview of us.
We both graduated from Cumberland School of Law (Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama). Stan Herring graduated in 1997 and passed the bar immediately after graduation. I (John Watts) graduated in 1995 and passed the bar immediately after graduating.
Let’s see. In law school we were both active in legal journals (Stan Herring — Trial Journal; John Watts — Law Review); we were involved in mock trials and what is known as moot court; etc.
We both live in Alabama. Stan lives in Birmingham and I live in Chelsea. We both have families and we have kids. This means we have mouths to feed…
We are both active in our churches. Stan attends St. Mary’s on the Highlands, Episcopal Church. I attend the Chelsea Church of Christ.
We have only practiced litigation — we don’t write wills or do incorporations or practice criminal law or divorce law.
We sue companies that do bad things and we defend people who are sued by debt collectors or who are facing foreclosures.
I think that’s enough about us.
Give us a call if you would like to chat.
Stan Herring and John Watts